Electrician’s shocking video is warning for DIY-ers


In the run up to Christmas it’s common to want to save some money where you can. That’s why when things start going wrong at home many people look to cut out the professionals and tackle the issues themselves – more often than not at the risk of themselves and their families. 

With DIY videos becoming increasingly popular on YouTube, experts are warning about the deadly consequences “having a go yourself” can have.

The following video is a stark reminder of why it’s not such a good idea to follow the advice of people you don’t know.

In it, ‘Mike Power’ offers his expert electrical DIY advice, however, it soon becomes clear that all is not as it seems and perhaps Mike isn’t as qualified as he appears.

The self-help video begins with Mike explaining he is going to show you how to remove a plug socket, but as he puts a screwdriver to remove it from the wall he is thrown back from a nasty shock.

Fortunately, Mike is an actor. The video is a warning by Electrical Safety First who are raising awareness about DIY online tutorials. The clip encourages viewers to ask whether they know if the person giving electrical advice is a registered electrician.

The video description asks:

“Are you sure the person giving you online advice regarding electrical installation and maintenance is a registered electrician?

Don’t put your life at risk by following advice from YouTube DIYers – spread the word by sharing this video using the hashtag #dontdieforDIY” 

The moral of the story?

If you do not have the experience or knowledge of dealing with electrical safety do not risk your life – hire a professional or visit the Electrical Safety First website: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.